Let us continue this series by getting you started on the most recent version of eWalk. For first time users, the whole program may look a bit daunting to some, but its really not too difficult. I’m here to start the ball rolling towards creating your first walkthrough with this system, by explaining how to begin your first template.
As I stated in Part 1, I’ll try to explain this to you as I would want it explained to me – simply.
First thing’s first; What is a Template? A ‘Template’ in eWalk is essentially the framework of your questionnaire. To put this even more into perspective, it is the structure of your walkthrough. It will contain the questions to be asked and each question’s choices of answers.
For readability purposes, I’m going to put each step into bullet form:
- To begin, log yourself into your MXWEB account on a Mac or PC computer, using your username and password.
- Select eWalk to load up the software.
- Next, you need to click on ’Build’ and then click on ’Templates’ to get to the template editing screen.
You will now see a large grey and green window
- Click on the ’*New’ icon in the top left of the screen to create your new template.
- Enter a name for the template, select the type of employee your observations will be targeting.
- You can copy another template already in use by your institution, but this article is focusing on how to create a new one from scratch.
- This will take you into a new screen where you will see 3 tabs at the top. The tabs read ‘General Information’ which you are on, ‘Manage Elements’, which I will cover in Part 4, and ‘Signatures’, which I will also be covering in Part 4.
There are also four buttons directly beneath the aforementioned tabs. The buttons are:
- ‘Save’, which you will need to click in order to save your template,
- ‘Share’ to share this template with another user;
- ‘Preview’ to see what it will look like upon completion and;
- ‘Clean Template’, this button will remove all of your completed walk-throughs and collected data attached to this template (it is recommended that this button only be used when testing a template).
- Create a description for the template, it will appear in the list view of all available templates. This was the page you were in when you clicked the “New” template button earlier.
You’ll notice there are two boxes located at the bottom called ‘Filter 1’ and ‘Filter 2’. Filters are important for your walkthrough and will take time to explain properly. Therefore this will be covered in Part 3 of this series. For now, let’s get back to creating the template.
- Be sure to click the ‘Save’ button in the top left corner regularly. It will glow yellow if you have made an update to the template but haven’t yet saved it.
- I am leaving ‘Select Form’, and ‘Select Export Type’ set to ‘Standard’ and ‘Select Default Print Format’ to ‘Standard 2.0’ for this tutorial
- If you need to attach an external document or file to your template, be sure to click on the box beside ‘Allow file attachment to the walk-through’ under ‘General Settings’.
The final two boxes I have yet to talk about are the ‘Select Custom Report’ and ‘Text Field’ boxes. Here is a quick description of how to use them:
- ‘Select Custom Report’ contains any walkthrough reports completed with this template. Considering this is a brand new, unused template, this box will be empty.
- The ‘Text Field’ box is used to input a notes such as specific instructions for how to preform the walk-through, as an example.
That will get you started on your way to creating your first Template.
Be sure to read Part 3, covering the creation of Filters, Value Lists and Checklists, all of which are important to the creation of your template.
You’re getting there, stay tuned to Media-X.com for further updates.
Other Articles in the eWalk Beginner Series
Part 1 ‘What is eWalk?’ Part 3 ‘Creating Filters, Value Lists and Checklists’ Part 4 ‘Creating Basic Elements’