When it comes down to it, I guess you can pretty much deep fry anything.
Deep Fried Oreos are potentially one of the greatest inventions of all time. Oreos were already great before, but the addition of pancake batter and hot oil has improved upon cookie perfection.
Now as everyone should know, this is by no means even close to being healthy with calorie levels in the life threatening range (mostly sarcastic).
We made this discovery while at a new Ottawa restaurant called Prime Burger Bar. Its a great spot with some killer burgers and poutine.
Why hadn’t I heard of these before? That’s all I want to know – therefore the main purpose of this article is to spread the news of this heavenly offering.
If you don’t like Oreos, I’m assuming you never started reading this article in the first place. For those of you that have persevered and read this far, let’s continue by going over a recipe so you can make your own Deep Fried Oreos.
What you’ll need is:
- 1 cup of Pancake Mix (the ‘just add water’ mix is fine and actually what we’ll be using)
- 3/4 of a cup of water
- 2 quarts of Vegetable Oil
- a box of Oreos (15 will be used for this recipe)
Double or triple the amount of ingredients if you want a bigger batch.
- First off, take the Oreos out of the box and put them on a pan. This will be inserted into the freezer for about 3 hours.
- Fill a sturdy pot with the vegetable oil and increase the temperature to 375F
- Next, you’ll want to mix the pancake batter with the water until there aren’t any more lumps.
- Then coat the cold cookies in the batter and drop into the oil. Don’t drop it from too high or else you will receive some hefty burns
- Cook them until they are golden brown on both sides. You will have to flip them in the pot to achieve these results.
That’s it, now you know how to make your own, lucky you!